The church which now meets in Perth Gospel Hall on Huntingtower Road has been in existence for over 100 years, gathering in a variety of locations throughout the Fair City.
The earliest record we have of the present church’s existence is 1904, when a Mrs Walker was received into fellowship. Another record states that Mrs Andrew Wilkie had been in fellowship since the church commenced in 1905. During December 1906 the Christians relocated to the Gospel Hall 192 South Street. In 1909 they moved again to the Gospel Hall 120 High Street. Another temporary move was in 1917 with a brief relocation to the Foresters Hall, 13 Hospital Street.
The Christians subsequently moved to the ‘upper room’ in Princes Street, which belonged to Mr Archibald. He was a business man who owned a coach building business, still in existence, and was a member of the church.
In 1972 the church purchased the premises at 157 South Street, from Perth City Mission. The hall had been built in the 18th Century and may have been originally a tenement building, which was later renovated into a church building for the congregation of Perth Baptist Church. In the book by Brian Robertson titled ‘Perth Baptist Church, The History, The People’ he quotes that they ‘built a place of worship at 157 South Street (1830). This building seated 200 and was described as ‘comfortable and substantial.” In 1974 renovations began with the construction of a baptismal tank and platform. Cloakrooms and toilets were also added.
In 2008 the church sold their premises in South Street and purchased a former hotel function suite on the outskirts of Perth. The church moved to temporary premises in Perth Centre for the Blind in New Row Perth, just a few hundred metres from the former South Street premises. Then a further move was required to meet in Perth Christian Centre in the Glasgow Road, Perth. On 17th May 2009, the Gospel Hall building at Huntingtower Road was ready and the church has been meeting there ever since.
Information kindly supplied by Colin Glennie and Neil Dickson.